- Program Considerations
- Classroom Strategies
- Levels of ESL Literacy
Essentials › Classroom Strategies › Materials in the ESL Literacy Classroom › Mainstream ESL Materials
Mainstream ESL Materials
Mainstream ESL materials are for adult ESL learners with previous formal education. Most learners who use mainstream ESL materials have prior background knowledge, academic skills and strategies.
Benefits of mainstream ESL materials
- The focus is on getting to know the culture of the new country. No background knowledge of the new culture is assumed.
- They are organized thematically.
- The materials often combine language with function and have practical pieces for communication.
Challenges of mainstream ESL materials
- They are often too complicated.
- They are often too cluttered (too much text on one page).
- The font and font size is not appropriate.
- The level of vocabulary and the content and format of questions is often not suitable.
Tips for using mainstream ESL materials
- Select small pieces that work with what you are doing in the classroom.
- Avoid trying to make a pre-packaged unit fit the needs of the learners.
- Ensure that the layout is appropriate, including font, font size and white space.
- Check that the vocabulary matches the level of the learners.
- Break the material into smaller, more manageable pieces.
- Consider using part of an activity, for example, a reading text without the questions, or a vocabulary activity without the attached grammar.