- Program Considerations
- Classroom Strategies
- Levels of ESL Literacy
CLB Foundation Learner Audio Story
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
The Foundation Phase is the first stage on the road to becoming literate. It is also called the foundational or pre-literate stage.
Foundation learners represent a variety of age groups, family situations, countries and cultures of origin, languages, interests and skills.
Learners at the Foundation Phase:
- Have no or almost no formal education or familiarity with printed materials.
- Have few strategies for learning the written word.
- Are not familiar with the alphabet or have only a basic familiarity with it.
- May be able to spell their names without a model.
- Can read little other than their name or a few simple words.
- Often have no spoken English, but some may have developed speaking and listening skills.
Over the course of the Foundation Phase, learners:
- Improve their oral English in order to make connections between the spoken and the written word.
- Develop pre-reading skills including visual discrimination, directionality, sequencing and learning the names of the letters.
- Develop pre-writing skills including understanding the basics mechanics of letter formation and the conventions of where to write on a page.
- Learn appropriate classroom behavior.
The length of time it takes to develop pre-reading and pre-writing concepts can differ from person to person. Many Foundation Phase learners repeat this level. Neither the funding source, nor the program or the learner should see this as a failure. It is a legitimate opportunity for the learner to become proficient in these pre-reading and writing skills and concepts.
In this section, learn more about Foundation Phase learners and the appropriate outcomes, approaches, materials and classroom routines for this level. Learn about planning effective theme units and lessons.
Learning for LIFE: An ESL Literacy Handbook: Levels of ESL Literacy: Foundation Phase (652 kB)
Essentials for LIFE content is based on Learning for LIFE: An ESL Literacy Handbook. This chapter of the handbook focuses on the CLB Foundation Phase.Stakeholders are the people who are involved in the program or are affected by what occurs in the program. Key stakeholders in adult ESL Literacy programs include learners, instructors, program administrators, funders and community members.
Pre-literacy Concepts and Skills (775 kB)
The purpose of this tool is to provide information on the pre-literacy concepts and skills that are necessary for achieving the learning outcomes in reading and writing for the CLB Foundation Phase.
Foundation Phase Learner Profile (82 kB)
This learner profile provides program providers and instructors with a holistic overview of learners in the CLB Foundation Phase.