- Program Considerations
- Classroom Strategies
- Levels of ESL Literacy
CLB Phase II Learner Audio Story
You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.
Phase II learners have reached the point in their literacy development where they are just beginning to use literacy skills in their everyday lives. Phase II learners are far more independent than Phase I learners, but they still need support, both instructionally and with any other barriers they have to learning.
Phase II learners represent a variety of age groups, family situations, countries and cultures of origin, languages and interests and skills.
Learners ready for Phase II:
- Can use pictures and formatting to help understand a text.
- Have a basic sight word bank of familiar words.
- Can use initial and final letters to help guess a word.
- Have legible handwriting, space words acceptably and copy information fairly accurately.
- Can begin to write simple sentences.
- Can count to 100 and add & subtract using manipulatives.
- Can tell digital time, identify coins & bills and use the appropriate coins to make up money amounts.
- Have a diverse set of listening and speaking skills - from CLB 2 to 5
Over the course of Phase II, learners:
- Move from reading words and sentences to paragraphs and simple stories of personal interest.
- Begin to understand the meaning and intent of straightforward messages.
- Move from composing basic sentences to expressing their ideas in notes and simple paragraphs.
- Become better able to take responsibility for their own learning as they acquire increased literacy skills, confidence, life experience in Canada, learning strategies and insight into their strengths and weaknesses.
In this section, learn more about Phase II learners and the appropriate outcomes, approaches, materials and classroom routines for this level. Learn about planning effective theme units and lessons.
Learning for LIFE: An ESL Literacy Handbook: Levels of ESL Literacy: Phase II (278 kB)
Essentials for LIFE content is based on Learning for LIFE: An ESL Literacy Handbook. This chapter of the handbook focuses on CLB Phase II.Stakeholders are the people who are involved in the program or are affected by what occurs in the program. Key stakeholders in adult ESL Literacy programs include learners, instructors, program administrators, funders and community members.
Phase II Learner Profile (81 kB)
This learner profile provides program providers and instructors with a holistic overview of learners in CLB Phase II.